Skip to main content

We Were Promised Jetpacks Roar at Union Transfer Philadelphia


5/6/12 18:44 Since both shows in the New York area were sold out, I drove Amanda to see We Were Promised Jet Packs at Union Transfer in Philadelphia. I was beat from playing two hours of basketball in the morning but a little nap did the trick, I fell into a deep enough sleep the body shook and a dream which I forget flooded by sensibilities. Driving to Philly can be a challenge, the traffic can be thick, the weather can flare up and there is the chance that somewhere on the New Jersey Turnpike a police officer can pull you over for driving 55 in a construction zone or where there is not a shoulder. Once the weather gets warmer the work begins on the highways and doesn’t stop till the cops make their quotas for the decade. We encountered a sever accident on the Belt, heavy traffic on 347 close to where we live and a good dose of the Saturday Westward bound night revelers. We were delayed on the Belt and passed a flipped over limo, I watched a cop crouch down on his hands and knees and he looked inside, I thought I saw a leg and a black leather shoe covering a foot. Traffic picked up and the insanity grew with the speed of our cars. Finally we made it to Horsham and met my brother there, picked him up and headed to 76. Route 76 is a gamble. I didn’t know what to expect and I thought I saw the red haze of distant break lights, but the cars flowed and darted in and out dangerously on the dark highway. We made it in and saw both opening bands: Fort Lean and Breton. I wrote about We Were Promised Jetpacks previously, we saw them last October at Webster Hall in the city. They came onto the stage later than I expected, after 11 PM and stayed on till after midnight. There was no encore like the Webster Hall show, but this band is it, you can feel the energy rise in the room as their music roared. See them as soon as you can, buy their music before they become sucked into the wasteland of consumerism. There was little give and take between the band, they were tight and played with precision. I believe this band will be huge. Set List:
Short Bursts Human Error H2R Voices Peace Sign Ships Backseat Medicine Keeping Warm Sleeves Sorethumb Pear Tree Thunder Before I go, Union Hall is a unique place for a show…I was able to get up to the balcony and took some pictures. The vastness of the open space is endless. It’s a new venue in the city and worth it to see a show and have some beers. The staff there are all very personable which is sometimes missing in NY City, we know it’s true. After the show we spoke to the bassist Sean Smith who was down to earth and offered to take Amanda’s album back to the band to have it as well as a playlist signed. Sean was obliging for a picture and a hug from an adoring fan and perhaps his future wife? Sure. My daughter can dream like I used to dream of Debby Harry...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alabama Shakes brings down Carnegie Hall

March 25, 2017I apologize for the delay since I should have wrote this last weekend.  I’m trying to write a blog entry once a week.  Once a week.  That is all.  Yet, even the single entry can get tangled in other demands.  Writing is a discipline.  Either I have it or I get distracted or lost in other habits.  Anyway, here is my review of the Tibet House concert on March 16th…as always thank you for reading it.I was in Pennsylvania on business and yet I had tickets to see the show at Carnegie Hall.  When I bought the single seat – a few weeks back – I bought the most expensive - in the orchestra. I knew I had to write down the event my book since I would forget.  I had made plans with a client to visit the company and yet, even with the date marked down, I still forgot.  But, I was not going to miss this event.  The lineup was incredible, Iggy Pop, New Order, Alabama Shakes, Patty Smith, Laurie Anderson, and others and of course the esteemed composer Philip Glass.  It was a benefit co…

The American Pink Floyd Experience-Ameri-Floyd at 89 North Patchogue

07:54 2/15/15
I wanted to get in a review of The American Pink Floyd Experience (Ameri-Floyd) at 89 North a couple of weeks back.  I also wanted to write down some thoughts on the amount of Pink Floyd copy bands that play in the area.  This will be brief and I hope you can relate or share your thoughts.   If you are a Pink Floyd fan, the only feasible way to experience their music live - is through a cover band.  There are no plans for Pink Floyd to tour.  There is no reason for them to tour since there are many options to see these cover bands.  No matter where to live, you can rest your minds there is a Floyd cover band close by.  The band that played at 89 North was their first show, but they were solid and were close to perfect.  Ameri-Floyd are fused from two different Pink Floyd cover bands to form The American Pink Floyd Experience, not the be confused with the Brit or the Aussie Pink Floyd Experience and not to be further compared and contrasted with the The American Pink Floyd…

A short review of Henry Rollin's book Solipsist

This year my plan is to read most if not all of Henry Rollin's books.

I just finished Henry Rollins book Solipsist, 166 pages. I wanted to get in a few words – to share a brief review. Overall the book is solid. It is entertaining to a degree, but the sentences were boring. Almost all of the sentences began with I or me. Why not, take a look at the title, which means that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified. There were three segments I heard on some of his CD’s so they were not shocking and were different from the ego driven ejaculations on most the pages. Still, it’s a good book which drums up internal conflicts over and over again.