Sunday, April 20, 2014

New Day Rising

Easter 2014 17:32


This morning Ali and I woke up fairly early for a Sunday, say about 5:15, put on our clothes and headed out to Cedar Beach to attend Easter sunrise service.  When we approached I was surprised by the number of cars which were parked neatly in rows, which is a common sight for the summer at the beach, but assuming as I did; there will not be many of us, I was pleasantly surprised.  Reverend Diane and the other minister from another local church greeted us and turned to watch the sun cast its gentle light on the morning water.  The sky was glowing.  The service began.  We sang Cat Stevens or as he is known today, Yusuf Islam, Morning has broken.  Jeff had his acoustic guitar and Jamie from the choir led the small crowd which sang in broken harmonies in the early morning winds…we have begun.  A new day is here.  A call for us to transform from our darkness like Jesus did, bringing us life everlasting.  And I prayed for Amanda up in Boston, since this is the day before the Boston Marathon and just over a year from the bombings.  Lord bestows peace.  The city shakes off the fear and remains united.  I thought of Husker Du and one of my favorite albums, New Day Rising as well as the song. I prayed this morning for my friends who are suffering from their own conflicts and lack of love and rubbed Ali’s back, grateful she was there with me.  It’s Easter and we can change from our ways and make a new start, not just for Easter but in this season as long as we are open to be transformed.  When we came home, Ali went back to sleep since she did not sleep well last night.  I read my daily chapter, today it was Romans chapter 12 which contains the following verse (2) “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God – what is good and acceptable and perfect.”  I have a post- it- note on my desk which is from the Danish philosopher, Soren Kierkegaard, “What I really need is to get clear of what I must do, not what I must know except insofar that knowledge must precede every act.  What matters in to find a purpose, to see what it really is that God wills that I do, the crucial thing is to find a truth which is truth for me…” May this season, bring blessings to you and your family and may we all find what God wills us to do - with compassionate hearts.




No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...