Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Don't Let the sound of your own wheels drive you CRAZY.

12/31/14 16:08

This is the last entry for the year and it’s time to look back at what I wrote.  I wrote more  blog entries this year, thank you for reading some.  

For this entry, I wanted to capture my travels which for the most part were for work.  I am not complaining, but this year I spent more than 30 nights, maybe closer to 40 nights in a hotel room.  It’s the most for a single year.  Most of the trips were to Pennsylvania or Massachusetts for meetings, but I was out in California for a trade show and flew out to Illinois for another trade show.  There was a meeting in West Virginia.  I thought of John Denver as I drove across the barren West Virginia landscape; take me home, West Virginia.  Not for me, but I intend to get back there in 2015.  For vacation we went to Disney.  Wait a second; I’m sure these details bore you.  I am sorry.  The odd thing is feeling the need to travel. When I don’t travel at least every other week, I feel anxious. I need to get out on the road and get in front of clients.  For some of you it may be hard to imagine, leaving the comforts of home and of course leaving the company of my wife and children.  Yes, I miss them.  There are nights in an empty hotel room when I have a cold dinner which I ate hours before only to watch it wilt and become stale.  I have emails to work on.  The TV is playing ESPN or something from the History channel, but I try to get in some reading and writing while I have the time.  There is the need to prepare for the meetings as well. The room is still quiet without the sounds of my family.  The next morning I may run a couple of miles on the treadmill, buy a veggie breakfast and head back to my room.  And before you know it I am in the parking lot for my first appointment and debating if I should wait or go in fifteen minutes before the scheduled time.   After my meetings, I may head back to my room and answer the emails and call back those who left messages.  But, if I am lucky I can get back on the road and head home.  I discovered the secret passage called the Ocean Parkway which runs East to West and is located at the most Southern region on Long Island.  There are times when I can see over the sand dunes at Jones Beach and watch for a second or two as the mighty waves from the Atlantic crest and crash into the shore.  These are some the sites I like to see.  Well, the ocean and an open road as the radio is playing a song which was created for driving.  Eagles, Take it Easy…

Happy New Year’s and here is a salute to 2015 to the profound potential a New Year has in store for all of us.


Thank you for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...