Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Peter Case played his distinct tunes in New York City

3/8/16 Home 22:16

Peter Case released his first solo record was released back in 1986.  I still have it.   One of the songs from that album was nominated for a grammy award. I’ve followed his career from a distance.  I appreciated his musical style. Like many of you who are reading this, I was first introduced to Case through the Plimsouls hit, “A Million Miles Away.”  The song pulled you in and like a few of you; I ripped through my unique version with air guitar blasting the power chords.  Earlier, on Sunday I played Oliver in a little one on one rematch.  I beat him after coming back from 8 to 3, and beat my good friend 11 to 9.  I asked if he wanted to join Erik and I and he said he would.  I spelled out that the ticket was $15 with a two drink minimum, but I’ll drive.  After the game, I showered and picked him up and we drove into East Northport to get Erik.  I played KD Lang on the CD and he agreed her rich voice is similar to a former member of our church.   We picked up Erik and headed in.  There was more traffic than expected, but soon we were on Delancey and found a parking spot for the Charger.  We got some cash.  I bought a genuine knish from an old Jewish store that has been in its location for more than a hundred years, and we were off to get into the Rockwood Music Hall.  The main bar was empty.  There was a woman checking in the guests and I gave her my name, I was in.  Oliver and Erik forked over their cash while Peter Case stood at the bar, and was having a quiet conversation with a tall kid in a black leather coat.  We walked down some dark steps and into a dim room in the basement.  There was a man at the sound board, about 30 people sitting in chairs, small yellow electric candles flickered, red walls and wooden back drop.  I had to put my glasses on since it was so dim.  Peter Case took the stage.  He sat down and strummed and went right into a mixture of songs off his latest album HWY 62, Pelican Bay, Waiting on a Plane, Long Time Gone, Aint Gonna Worry No More and others.  Between the songs he had time to share his unique stories which glow in his songs.  At one point he complained about being on the road and was tired of driving. There were a few of us who would trade their banal lives to play gigs across the country.  Although the show was fairly short, a tight one hour set, and the venue was strict enforcing the allotted time. There was another band scheduled to hit the stage and who were already bringing in their instruments to the back of the room…a few minutes before Peter was finished.  After the set I helped carry one of his guitars back up the stairs.  There were a couple of us assisting Peter.  I bought a book of his as well as a copy of HWY 62 which he signed and of course asked the man to pose for a selfie.  After the gig we had dinner and a great conversation.  There is no such thing as a light conversation with Oliver, he pulls out a topic; whatever his curious nature leads him to probe.  And on the ride back to Long Island, Oliver watched the robust lights shining from the fading Manhattan, blessing the city out loud and grateful to be alive.  We listened to the CD three times and it was a good night for three fellas who came together from three different worlds.

Thank you for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Henry Rollins and his picture show arrived in Philadelphia for two nights

1/29/18  Henry Rollins played two shows at Philadelphia’s Trocadero Theatre.  The first night was sold out.  My brother and I were the...