Monday, November 20, 2017

Brian Blade blesses The Jazz Standard



11/20/2017 14:25

For those of you who have not seen Brian Blade, I strongly recommend blessing your eyes and ears to see this man rip over a simple drum kit.  He is an artist and has formed a compact group of musicians who will whisper to your angelic soul.
There were a couple of tickets available for the last night’s gig, Brian Blade & The Fellowship band played at Jazz Standard.  It was the last show after a five night run.
I went into the city with a friend.  Another sober friend who has been blessing in my life.  I brought my sketch pad.  Found a parking spot a few feet away from the entrance to the club.  We went in and saw Brian standing against a wall talking to someone.  I put my coat down, excused myself and brought over the pad to get the man’s autograph.  He was at the bar by the time I got back and I spilled out how I was going to sketch and how many times I’ve seen him.  I was like a little kid telling Mr. Blade how much I respected his work.  He was soft-spoken and sounded surprised that I’ve seen him as many times.  God bless, were my parting words. 
I was back in my seat, the light dimmed in the house.  The band took their places on the stage.  The music began.  Seltzer with lemon, one for me and one for my friend who was excited about a night out. 
The band was tight, Jon Cowherd on piano, Myron Walden, alto sax, bass clarinet, Melvin Butler, soprano and tenor sax, and the ever present, cheering Chris Thomas on bass.  
Not knowing the music which was a mixture of free jazz, fusion.  At first it was a slow somber setting, but the music increased in energy and pace.  It leveled off once again.   Jon Cowherd merged so many styles and yet each song spoke to me. 
Eventually, the set was finished.  Brian spoke, introduced the band, and told us what they songs were played and said God bless. 
They came out for an encore, This Little Light.
The show was over.  Paid the bill and we were back in the car, passing streets and steaming street caps. Heat kicking on.  Dodging taxis who were out to kill me.  The gigantic Met Life building, and drove over to the East side and up and over the 59th Street Bridge.  The shimmering water, the colored lights on the water, the cold water leads to the endless ocean, and the twisting roads led me to the Long Island Expressway.  Think it would be a breeze on a late Sunday night?  Think construction.  Think Northern State. 
After walking down the driveway, just before going inside, I stood outside in the frigid November air and gazed up at the stars.  Their lights.  The cold air.  I thought of the music I heard, and imagined Brian Blade smiling up at a different ceiling.  Good night.


Thank you for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...