Monday, April 15, 2019

Living in Bethlehem


4/13/19 17:18 Bethlehem, PA
Around the corner, kids, coaches and parents are at a track meet.  The air gun pops before each race.  It has been popping all day.  Some runners are venturing around the neighborhood.  I went out for a short run, past Moravian College, onto Main Street and up a small hill, passing stores and shoppers who are out, taking advantage of a warm April day.  I took a different path on the way home and passed some nice homes that are for sale.  After my run I walked over, and sat in the stands to take in a few races.  Sitting in the peaceful and private back yard.  Birds are chirping, a neighbor is woodworking in his garage and I watch him stay focused on his craft.  Looks like a dresser or fixing drawers for the kitchen.  Another neighbor was picking the dead skin from her feet, while sitting on her back stoop as her dog with a curly tail exposing a dehydrated anus, sniffs around the back yard.  It’s the first Saturday, the first full weekend in Bethlehem.  I am living in a new place and very happy.  I’ve been going out, well so to speak.  I attended an open mic night down at the Ice House.  Maybe tonight I’ll walk over to the brewery and get a beer?  Last Sunday, I attended church, met a couple from Long Island and afterwards the husband, Dave and I went out to brunch.  He is a good man and I look forward to getting to know him more.  The guys in the house are easy going and I can see us getting along for the next few months.  My goal is to buy a home in the area.  The car insurance in Pennsylvania is cheaper, which means, I need to register my car in the state.  It may require a Pennsylvania license and an allegiance to the Phillies.  Perhaps later I’ll check that out on the DMV website.  Overall, I am in a good place.  I didn’t think the move up here would be difficult and it wasn’t.  There’s still boxes of books to retrieve.  The distance between my parents is not too bad and the kids are fairly close.  While I was married, I imagined what it would be like to live on my own. There are bouts of boredom, but there are chores to do, work to get done, I can write or read, there is a lot I can do and yet I would like to spend some part of the day relaxing in front of a TV, watching a movie, taking a break from the world.  One of the roommates, Tom asked me if I had any plans, nothing really.  Maybe Tom and I will go into town and get a beer.  Maybe I will take a nap.  I am kidding.  I fell asleep earlier while getting some sun.  It was splendid.  It is Spring.

Thank you for reading this


No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...