Skip to main content

Pittsburgh women love sports


8/08/12 19:16 Marriott Pittsburgh Last night I was at the Pirates game with EJ Friday one of my contacts when he worked at Sanofi a couple of years ago. We had a burger and beer before the game and headed into the stadium. Most of his conversations revolved around work which is good, we’re supposed discuss business since I will expense the tickets and food. The stadium is beautiful with the yellow Roberto Clemente bridge, crossing over the river that runs along the stadium. I took the new subway to the stadium for free. Next year they will charge for the service. The Bucs were blown out of the water by the Diamondbacks, ten to four. Marte hit a dinger for the Bucs, fireworks went off. We had a good time. I don’t think I will forget faint light from the sunset on the city skyline. Each building appeared crisp. The Pirates are having a very good season which is a shock to the city. The people here are very friendly and need to have a winning team. While I’m writing this, I’m watching tonight’s game and getting distracted. I could walk to the stadium from here and chill out in the stadium. Then again I did it last night. I don’t want the stadium to be the only highlight in this city. It is a sports town. I learned this important fact during my first meeting with three women who love the Steelers, Penguins and the Pirates in that order. Their knowledge of these teams was shocking. I was embarrassed since I know little compared to them. That was a sort of sexist comment. I think instead of going to the game, I will hit the pool. Today was busy from a call before my 9:00 to close to 3:00, I had four appointments. I found the original Forbes Field wall on the campus at UPitt and took some pictures, as well as the home plate which is in one of the buildings. It was one of my goals for this trip. After a late afternoon conference call, I drove to the Andy Warhol museum, which is concrete and sparse; I wish Emma was there, she would have enjoyed it considering there were substantial displays of his photographs, movies and videos. There was a video entitled Kennedy’s on beach in Montauk. John Junior was buried up to his neck in sand, I could see the fillings in his teeth, he appeared like his father. One of the kids, was it Caroline who asked if Andy had his Polaroid. He said it was back at the house. The scene could have been filmed by any family on any beach, so there was a sense of peeking into the private lives of these people. Overall I enjoyed Warhol’s work, especially a display of angels and on the other side of the wall - mothers and their children which was a project he abandoned swiftly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alabama Shakes brings down Carnegie Hall

March 25, 2017 I apologize for the delay since I should have wrote this last weekend.  I’m trying to write a blog entry once a week.  Once a week.  That is all.  Yet, even the single entry can get tangled in other demands.  Writing is a discipline.  Either I have it or I get distracted or lost in other habits.  Anyway, here is my review of the Tibet House concert on March 16th…as always thank you for reading it. I was in Pennsylvania on business and yet I had tickets to see the show at Carnegie Hall.  When I bought the single seat – a few weeks back – I bought the most expensive - in the orchestra. I knew I had to write down the event my book since I would forget.  I had made plans with a client to visit the company and yet, even with the date marked down, I still forgot.  But, I was not going to miss this event.  The lineup was incredible, Iggy Pop, New Order, Alabama Shakes, Patty Smith, Laurie Anderson, and others and of course the esteemed composer Philip Glass.  It was a benefit co…

Henry Rollins is a sell out

10/30/16 17:27

I heard the criticism about the Henry Rollins for years, a self-absorbed, macho, and of course a lunatic.  I have a friend who were threatened by the Henry years ago.  I have read his articles and books, and would say I am a fan of the Henry; the myth which he created when he adopted a different last name, "Rollins" when joining Black Flag.  I always respected the Henry who would tell us at his shows that he was accessible, since he had the punk attitude; there is no difference to the person on the stage and the audience, we were united.  “I am here because of you,” the Henry tells his audiences. You could send the Henry an email and he would respond which is respectable and follows the punk ethos.  When seeking advice, for instance, on books or on bands such as - should I see Suicide who are playing in the city? The Henry thought it was a good idea and I went.  And I walked out before the concert was over.  Their last concert.  The Henry removed his email addr…

Every Two Years, this time Sally Field and Matthew Broderick, a Night in the city with my wife

2/26/17 21:53
Yesterday, we left the house just before 11:00 in the morning.  I filled up on gas and we bought bagels before our drive into the city.  We had the day planned for a few weeks.  We did the same thing two years ago.  Catching two plays and spending the night in the city.  The first play was Glass Menagerie, starring Sally Fields.  The second was Evening at the Talk House starring Matthew Broderick.  You know one of those days when everything fell into place.  There was a coupon for half off 24 hour parking which I printed.  The traffic to the city was very light and we made great time.  The parking garage on East 38th took my car.  We walked up to the hotel.  The Courtyard on east 40th and to our surprise there a room was available.  We had a room with a view instead of an alley, we could see buildings.  The low hurling clouds which carried looming rain; scraped over steel roofs.  We made excellent time.  Made it to the Belasco Theatre and waited in line for ten minutes.  …