Skip to main content

Driving in the rain to see We Were Promised Jetpacks at The Stone Pony 6/13/13

I heard the weather was not as bad as expected, the flooding would be minimal.  Still, through the rains and at times pounding and torrential... Amanda and I made it safely to Asbury Park, NJ in good time from Port Jefferson.  We paid for parking on the street and walked inside.  The Stony Pony has a large stage, a sound man on the right and the engineer – in the back of the room - moving the controls.   It was packed with fans that watched and danced to the first band, The Static Jacks who were very good, their lead singers dancing reminded me a little of Morrissey.  Amanda saw Sean the bassist hanging out at the bar and she asked someone to take a picture of them.  Both of us are getting to know We Were Promised Jetpacks a little more.  I’d say.  This was the first time she met the whole band since Adam and Mike were close by with beers in hand and I took her picture with them.  The whole band is very nice. They are not what I’d expect from young rock stars, they don’t get drunk or have women hanging all over them which helps me when Amanda says she wants to marry their bassist Sean.   Their set was only about a half hour and they were prompt to get on stage, I told Sean after he removed his ear plugs that The Stone Pony was a popular landmark, Springsteen played there as well as Bon Jovi.  “Did you see we are playing with them?”  He asked.  I did.  I took my place in the back of the venue to watch the crowd’s reaction.  There were some older fans like myself wearing WWPJP t-shirts who like me bobbed their heads and sang along.  I was impressed with the way the crowd surged and danced.   I watched three men high five each other the moment they recognized what song was being played.  Adam’s voice was strong, he walked around the stage, strummed his guitar and sung with closed eyes, thanked the crowd and Ra Ra Riot for having them.  One song they did which has not been released is Peace Sign. After they played they cleared the stage of their equipment.  Mike gave Amanda the set list.  We asked about the show at Maxwells which was sold out, and if there was a way they’d put us on their guest list.  I know, it's bold,   Amanda also asked Sean and each said to send them a message on Twitter and they’d see if they can do it, but since it was so close to New York City...they were clear...no promises.  It was late and we saw who we wanted to and left before seeing Ra Ra Riot.  We drove back home, back in the heavy rain, through floods and thick puddles and made it back at a decent hour...12:30…I was up five hours later for work...back into the grind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alabama Shakes brings down Carnegie Hall

March 25, 2017I apologize for the delay since I should have wrote this last weekend.  I’m trying to write a blog entry once a week.  Once a week.  That is all.  Yet, even the single entry can get tangled in other demands.  Writing is a discipline.  Either I have it or I get distracted or lost in other habits.  Anyway, here is my review of the Tibet House concert on March 16th…as always thank you for reading it.I was in Pennsylvania on business and yet I had tickets to see the show at Carnegie Hall.  When I bought the single seat – a few weeks back – I bought the most expensive - in the orchestra. I knew I had to write down the event my book since I would forget.  I had made plans with a client to visit the company and yet, even with the date marked down, I still forgot.  But, I was not going to miss this event.  The lineup was incredible, Iggy Pop, New Order, Alabama Shakes, Patty Smith, Laurie Anderson, and others and of course the esteemed composer Philip Glass.  It was a benefit co…

The American Pink Floyd Experience-Ameri-Floyd at 89 North Patchogue

07:54 2/15/15
I wanted to get in a review of The American Pink Floyd Experience (Ameri-Floyd) at 89 North a couple of weeks back.  I also wanted to write down some thoughts on the amount of Pink Floyd copy bands that play in the area.  This will be brief and I hope you can relate or share your thoughts.   If you are a Pink Floyd fan, the only feasible way to experience their music live - is through a cover band.  There are no plans for Pink Floyd to tour.  There is no reason for them to tour since there are many options to see these cover bands.  No matter where to live, you can rest your minds there is a Floyd cover band close by.  The band that played at 89 North was their first show, but they were solid and were close to perfect.  Ameri-Floyd are fused from two different Pink Floyd cover bands to form The American Pink Floyd Experience, not the be confused with the Brit or the Aussie Pink Floyd Experience and not to be further compared and contrasted with the The American Pink Floyd…

A short review of Henry Rollin's book Solipsist

This year my plan is to read most if not all of Henry Rollin's books.

I just finished Henry Rollins book Solipsist, 166 pages. I wanted to get in a few words – to share a brief review. Overall the book is solid. It is entertaining to a degree, but the sentences were boring. Almost all of the sentences began with I or me. Why not, take a look at the title, which means that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified. There were three segments I heard on some of his CD’s so they were not shocking and were different from the ego driven ejaculations on most the pages. Still, it’s a good book which drums up internal conflicts over and over again.