Saturday, November 1, 2014

Never Dream of Regretting

11/1/14 20:17


The fire was burning as the night descended on this town.  It was dark all day; one of those dreary days when waking up in the morning seemed like the middle of the night.  I watched from our bedroom window as the wind pushed off brown leaves that tumbled like chaotic birds for moments - before settling into the cold moist grass.   Ali was studying for her class.  Shea called from Mather Hospital. Eileen was up in the emergency room, her gall bladder is acting up.  Ali is there.  She can reassure Eileen since Ali had her gall bladder removed...almost ten years ago?  Joe and Bella are watching TV and I took advantage of this day, the weather, the rain to read the NY Times and wrote.  I’m editing my new novel and the task is slow and arduous.  I also looked into taking some classes at Empire State, finishing my bachelor’s degree with the eventual goal of attending seminary school in the city.  It has been an elusive goal of mine for more than ten years and like my previous attempts at school, I am motivated early and then after the work hits - I raise the white flag.  From my estimates, I must be close to 80 credits.  From getting credit from Stony Brook while in high school, to Suffolk Community to Purchase and back to Stony Brook for a year or so and now Empire State.  I have a coach who I have hired for three months.  It’s not a lot of time, but I am sure she will motivate me as I pursue this goal.  I just thought I would share this with you.  It’s not as if we should hang it up as we approach our mid-life and later years, fifty, sixty or seventy.  While reading last week’s New York Times Magazine, there are numerous articles on aging.  I recommend getting a copy.  T.H. White, the British naturalist turned novelist to write “The Once and Future King.” Speaking of the mind, “There is only one thing for it then – to learn.  Learn why the world wags and what wags it.  That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and dream of regretting.”  I think of Franciscan Brother Dunston who is at Little Portion and who I spent a couple of hours with last Saturday.  He is a man brimming with love and at 92 continues to warm the world.  I pray for him since he shared the friary is closing...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...