Wednesday, July 17, 2019

David Crosby is weathered and sober today


7/17/19 21:52 Bethlehem, PA

I left work early on Monday and drove into Manhattan to see a documentary on David Crosby, Remember my name.  It was hosted by NY Times, Cameron Crowe, who conducted the interviews with Mr. Crosby, as well as the director, AJ Eaton and Melena Ryzik, a music/cultural journalist from the Times sat around David Crosby.  I have to say the movie was very good and yet, it was a shame the others from CSNY were either not present or were not interviewed for the movie, but as Crowe mentioned, he thought it was better to keep the movie on the main subject, David Crosby.  This was my first journey into the city from Bethlehem.  I was not sure what to expect and lo and behold it took a little less than two hours.  Left at three and pulled into the parking garage (East 61st) at 4:55. It was hot in the city and I wanted to find a cheap place to eat.  I’m on a tight budget and the night was already expensive, I don’t want to say what I paid for the ticket, but this was a gift to myself.  I found a cheap place, ate and walked to the theater and waited in line.  The event was sold out.  There are only three hundred seats in the place and once inside, I sat in the third row, between two men who each used the arm rest, the one to my left took his right arm and plopped it down and the one to the right took his left and plopped it down; so I sat there during the movie thinking what do I do with my hands?  I can rub my mouth, scratch myself, and put them in a sort of pray full pose.  I know what you’re thinking, who gives a shit about your hands tell me about the movie.  It was very good, insightful and I felt the movie caught David Crosby in his highs and lows.  Now he is 77 and having to get out on the road to pay the bills as he said.  Eight heart stents and diabetic.  Scenes of him testing his sugar level and injecting himself with insulin back stage. There were stories about The Byrds, touring, clubs, childhood, Jim Morrison, Joanie Mitchell, Mama Cass, CSN concerts, women, drugs and sex and his dick.  Maybe not in that order.  Here’s a secret, on August 11th Cros is playing a free concert as part of Lincoln Center free series in NYC.  I intend to go.  I want to see him perform.  It may seem ironic, but as I was driving back to this place, I realized on July 22, 2017 I was kicked out of the house and still went to see Graham Nash who played at The Landmark in Port Washington and now almost to the day, two years later, I’m leaving Crosby back in the city, in the lights fading in the rear view mirror and pray for his continued path in this life.

Thank you for reading this

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...