Saturday, October 26, 2019

Chick Corea, Christian McBride & Brian Blade Played in Patchogue to a Packed House









10/26/19 20:36 East Northport

It’s the night before the half marathon and I have to say I am not feeling nervous.  I have my clothes laid out.  I am prepared for a light rain which will become heavier in the afternoon; thanks to the predictions from my father, who studies the weather like a radio forecaster.  More on the race tomorrow night.
Chick Corea, Trilogy played in Patchogue
Of course some guy comes in and asks if I can move over to the empty seat next to me.  He was grateful and we started talking, yes he is also from East Northport.  He just bought the tickets that day and was not sure what to expect. I explained, Brian Blade is an incredible drummer.  I’ve seen him a few times and if I see he is on the bill, I try to buy a ticket.  Christian McBride, is also an accomplished bass player and both will be amazing, and of course there is the legend, Chick Corea.  We’re in for an amazing show.
Before they took the stage some impatient nut started to clap his hands, hoping he could get the whole theatre clapping.  A few of us turned around and gave him the evil eye.  This is not a Zebra concert.  Sit tight. 
The band came out and played a piece from Cole Porter.  The set was very eclectic, included audience participation, singing along to the notes Chick played.  And then the music started.  What struck was the energy flowing from the stage.  It was joyful.  Blade and McBride who shared the center, weaved through the set and met each other’s skillful challenges.  I dare you.  Like two dancers catapulting through the set.  All along it was led by Chick Corea who at times sat there in awe of his bandmates.  We were all in awe.  Songs from Thelonious Monk, originals like Corea’s Windows and Footprints, 500 Miles, and more.    
During intermission I bought a CD, this is their second recording.  I had to run down to the bank since they do not process cards in the theatre.  They should.
The theatre is very spacious and ornate, they restored a palace in Patchogue. The band was grateful to play to close to a sellout.  The audience was great.  I was impressed with the friendly staff and the gentle way they monitored the crowd.
After the gig, I had the opportunity to meet the band and share some insight in Long Island.   Chick mentioned, during the show that he lived in Huntington for a couple of years.  Backstage, we spoke about Coltrane and his house.  Brian looked up Dix Hills and Coltrane on his phone and was impressed. If you have the opportunity to see this band or any of the members, go. 

Thank you for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...