Sunday, October 27, 2019

Running in the Rain - Suffolk County Marathon


10/27/19 22:25 East Northport, NY

Who wants to talk about money?

I had dinner with Emma earlier and we had an honest conversation about money.  I did not manage my money very well when I was younger. Even today I know I can do a better job, but I wished I shared some advice (to all of my children) that my Dad gave me when I was in college; do not get a credit card.  When I was younger I assumed the money would be there and somehow I would be able to pay back the debt, besides having a credit card meant in some aspects, I was an adult and was provided a new found freedom in plastic.  Paying back debt was a problem when I was younger.  It was common to get a call from one of the credit card companies – to let me know I was in arrears.  I would get offended, insulted since I did not like being treated as a…child.  But I was a child in my approach. 
Being divorced and paying alimony and child support had meant I needed to look honestly at my budget.  I quickly learned, I don’t keep all of my paycheck – my net income. In fact, I will not keep all of it till the divorce is settled, and that my friends will take place in a few years.  In the meantime, I have learned how to keep a budget, and yet even with my semi-disciplined approach, my credit card debt has been creeping up.  There is the dreamy, ferry dust, pie in the sky, any more clichés, approach, eventually I will pay off the debt?  The way I would question if I need to see the doctor or ask for directions.  Eventually I will find my way?  If I don’t change my behavior or my approach to managing my money, nothing will change.  I will become more responsible with my money, there I said it.  I want to learn how to manage my money and have my money earn more money with compound interest or something that I can reach out to, like the ferry, asking for help.  This time I will be serious, it takes educating myself, working it and the discipline and commitment.  I can, I will, I must.

Who wants to run a half marathon in the rain?

My body really want to shut off and hit the sack.  Just a few thoughts.  This morning, the rain started before I left the house.  A rain shower passed, but I knew I was in for rain today.  I drove in the dark towards St. Joseph’s College in Patchogue.  I made an instant coffee, had a bowl of cereal and was off.  I wanted to get on the road by 6:30. Traffic was building up at the entrance to the college. I was impressed with the maniacs who were out in this shitty morning to run in it.  We all needed to be back in bed.  
The race was well organized, I didn’t wait long for a bus and a few minutes later I was walking to where I would drop off my bag.   Cold pelts of rain began to fall, I thought it was going to get worse, but it did not.  In no time, the County Executive, Steve Ballone, Roger from WBAB and a Met’s pitcher were all there to wish us well.  There was also an impressive version of the Star Spangled Banner and a prayer.  Beautiful.  The race mentioned and recognized in my ways - the 75th anniversary of D Day, WW II.  Our bitching about the rain meant nothing to the lives that were lost.  There is a lot of support between the other runners, the times I slowed down to walk, I was told not the quit.  Another asked if I wanted to put my sweater on my back, he would hold my water bottle.  No, thank you.  And I didn’t quit.
So I ran the half marathon and accomplished it in under two hours.  It’s time to call it a night and hit the sack. 

Thank you for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...