Tuesday, November 5, 2019

An open mic after work


11/5/2019 21:57 Bethlehem, PA

After work I went out for a run.  I didn’t have much time, but got in 3.5 miles and averaged just over 8 minutes a mile.  The weather was perfect, a cool autumn day, the sun setting and traffic was barely a hum.  I was in my own world, the way I usually run.  I fall into a meditative mind, thinking of friends who I should reach out to, brothers in the program, past friends and of course my family.  It’s the time to let my body go as fast as possible, there is no sun, no humidity, the sneakers are snug, wearing shorts.  There were the few times I had to wait for traffic or the light to turn and I wait and pace back and forth till there is an opening.  I ran back home.  Heated up dinner and had a quick bite before a shower.  Dressed and had more food and checked the start time for the open mic.  Sign in starts at 6:30 and the show begins at 7:00, down at the Ice House.  It’s been a few months since I read at the open mic.  There was a free jazz saxophonist, a poet laureate for Bucks County and a younger poet who I have heard before, nice to see her confidence is working. Then there was the open mic for the rest of us.  I was one of the last to go before the break.  After the break, the second half begins, but after the run and the reading, I was ready to get back and do some reading and writing.  I came home and overheard my housemate’s conversation with I assume she’s his girlfriend?  She was coughing a lot and he had the conversation on speaker.  Why?  Anyway, it’s night.  My goal to write every night for a month is almost complete.  I challenged myself to get down a blog from 10/7 to 11/7.  Let’s see if I extend this.

Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...