Monday, January 6, 2020

Married to a Tica



01/05/20 flying over Cuba

I am married.  Meli and I were married on December 29th in front of more than fifty friends and family.  It was raining before the ceremony and a few asked if I was nervous.  I was not, but as we neared the event the butterflies started.  Rain stopped.  A beautiful sunset lit up the sky over the lake.  Yes, there were sections I had to recite in Spanish, which was the main reason for my nerves.   Meli came out as the music started, Here Comes the Bride. Her parents walked her to me.   There was not the formal hand off, Meli and I approached one another and kissed.  She looked beautiful and calm.  Are you happy, she asked me with a bright smile.  Yes, I am very happy.  The night is a blur.  We were busy talking to the guests and I tried my best to speak Spanish, Mucho Gusto.  There were some relatives who spoke English which made it easier for me.  We ate dinner, shared cake and soon enough we were packing.  I paid the attorney who handled the ceremony and we discussed the visa process.  Once the holidays are over, she will file the papers.  I will set up an appointment with an attorney from Catholic Charities when I am back and when I have the marriage certificate.  Last month they were busy till mid-January.  There may be the possibility Meli will move to the US before this year is out.  With everything it is God’s hands.  Looking at Florida in the near distance.  I will go through immigration and have to recover my bag and check it in again.  But it is alright.  I have five hours in Orlando to ponder the state of my affairs.  I have work emails, reading and will buy something to eat.  I think we have another forty-five minutes in this flight.

22:20

Flying over Virginia.  I am picking up a rental when I get back.  There’s nothing quite like listening to a grown man telling his kids he got a nasty look from a woman, for who knows what, but he adds, go ahead and arrest me.  Mom calls her child an idiot and suddenly I feel the warmth of the winter, note the sarcasm is seeping into the cabin.  I am almost back in New York.  Had a coffee.  Up since 3:30 AM, worked on my emails and still feel there is a lot more to accomplish.  Jet Blue offers WIFI on most of their flights and it gave me the ability to work.  I could have watched NetFlix, but didn’t.  I worked while at Orlando airport, well most of the time.  Picked up a late lunch or dinner at Burger King, an Impossible Burger and it was delicious.  For most of the past two weeks I’ve kept up my vegetarian meals.  There were some meats that slide into my system, and I know if was difficult for my Mother-In-Law who always wants to feed me.  She was upset that she could not find some real recipes.  The woman has her hand’s full, taking care of her granddaughter.  Thinking back to the beautiful weather in Costa Rica, holding Meli’s hand whenever we drove or sat together.  Attending mass last night and not knowing what the priest was saying.  I will make an effort to learn Spanish. 

Thank you for reading this.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mike! Best of luck in your next chapter of life. I'm very happy for you. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, I appreciate your kindness. Happy New Year to you.

      Delete

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...