Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Roy Haynes at the Blue Note







11/12/19 20:46 Bethlehem, PA

Thank you for reading this.  I arrived back at the house by 0200, dumped my bags around the room, brushed my teeth and went to bed.  I had to be up in four hours and it was a restless night of a monkey mind, the room was too warm and I was anxious about the day.  But here we are my friends. Listening to Coltrane and Monk and Roy Hayes at the Five Spot back in 1958.  It is significant since I bought a used CD at the record store in Commack before driving into the city and I thought wouldn’t it be great to get this signed by the one and only Roy Haynes.  It was a good idea so stick with me for a little while.  Parked the car at the Icon Parking garage near Cooper Union and walked across town with my CD in my pocket.  It was a mild autumn night.  I called Meli and said I wanted to take her to this neighborhood since it was old New York, narrow streets and people waiting for others to get through.  It was very civil last night.  I headed over to the Blue Note and waited with others to get inside.  It wasn’t a long wait.  I asked the guy checking us in if Roy was around and he said he’s up in the dressing room.  Instead of waiting after the show, I head up with my CD and noticed a guy about to go into the dressing room.  Excuse me I said, would you mind getting this signed for me?  He was about to take the CD and thought better of it, and invited me to follow up into the dressing room.  Cool.  But we soon learned Roy was in the bathroom.  So I waited and the guy used the bathroom as well and I waited in the hall like a moth dangling in the light.  I waited for him to finish and I told myself, be patient.  Just be patient.  I noticed his shoes in the stall every time the door opened and I waited.  Maybe he was snorting coke.  I couldn’t waited and knocked.  The door opened.  I was welcomed.  There was Roy in his seat and tapping his feet.  I asked if he would sign my CD.  But he looked at it and said he wasn’t on it.  He opened up the cover and said, there was too much writing here.  Man…he liked to use the word, Man. I don’t know, he said.  I thought he was not going to sign it and in that time we got to know one another.  Have any kids?  Yes, I have four.  You look too young to have any kids.  Thank you, can you sign it?  The others guys in the band told him he was on the album and it was one of their favorites.  Is there a picture of me?  No, I said disappointed.  And I thought quickly, maybe you can sign the back of the CD, the silver part?  And he did.  Would you mind if we take a picture?  No, he said.  He didn’t want to take a picture.  He was being difficult, but in a gentle way.  Roy took the stage.  He danced a little in front of the audience and took his seat behind the drums.  The man who played with Bird, Louis Armstrong, Eric Dolphy, Chick Corea, was in his element and I was amazed how much energy he had.  So, what the show started at 10:30 and was wrapping up just before midnight.  The band played to a sparse room.  I drank three beers and as he was walking back to his dressing room, I got in a quick picture with him.    

Thank you for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...