Monday, December 2, 2019

Hot Tuna Played in Bethlehem Tonight








12/2/19 22:45 Bethlehem, PA

I can tell you Hot Tuna closed with Water Song perhaps their most popular song.  After a short run, a quick dinner and a fast shower, I made my way up to the Steel Stacks and walked up the flights of round stairs and was impressed with the intimate setting.  It was as if I walked into a warm and welcoming living room.  I was ushered to my seat and watched the whole set of the opening act, Larry Campbell and his wife Theresa.  This guy was in Bob Dylan’s band and has a New York connection, but they live in Woodstock, the East coast Nashville or Austin.  There’s the link between Levon Helm are you kidding me?  Incredible harmonies and I sipped a pumpkin beer and was impressed with them.  Jorma came out and played their last song with them.
I have not seen Hot Tuna since 1990 when they played Bay Streets in Sag Harbor.  It was the second time, the first was at the Ritz in NYC in 1987.  Sounds reasonable, Paul Kantner and Papa John Creach played with them.
So, after a couple of beers, the soft colored lights on the steel stacks, everything felt alright.  Jorma and Jack came out and played like masters.  Here are two hippie brothers who love to play their music.  The audience adored them from a safe distance, there was some banter back and forth and yet when the sons began the house was silent.  We absorbed the flow in the night like distant angels.  Jorma and Jack, both at their peak and yet I felt and saw the fragility of Jack in his still moves and humble approach.  Oh, but watch out world, he is not giving up.  The man kicked ass on his solos.  And Jorma, like a stoic saint filled the room with his voice and guitar like no other.  I was in awe.   If you have an opportunity, go see Hot Tuna. They play real American music my friend.  
I wanted to buy a poster or a t-shirt but the stand could not process credit cards?  What?  So, I walked out a richer man.  Within 10 minutes I was back here and typing this for you.

Thank you for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Calling

  January 28, 2024 Flying to London tonight for our sales meeting.   First time traveling out of the country for the job.   First time in ...